Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Lots of fun projects happening

Fire Drake Shawl by Abigail Phelps using my handspun laceweight in a gradient colorway that goes from Orange to Red to Purple. It’s a lot of yardage and going to be very big.

Cable Braided Necklace by Olga Buraya-Kefelian - can be done in any weight yarn and take under two hours to complete.

I'm excited to make God’s Eye stars with Son #2's class for their holiday party on Friday. Here is a quick tutorial link for how to make them.We went to the the STEAM Maker Faire at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
Hitchhiker Shawl by Martina Behm using leftover Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball.

Here are my Gurli mittens and all the links: Latvian Braid, stranded colorwork, convertible mittens, and the Knit Companion app.

Monday, December 1, 2014

The Knitters Guild Holiday Luncheon

Today I got to wear my newly finished sweater to a place where people would truly appreciate it! Stacy took this picture of me in front of the Morgan Run Club & Resort.
The lunch was amazing! There were two options to choose from, Salmon Ceasar Salad and a Chicken Salad Wrap. I chose the Salmon but also got a taste of the Chicken Salad and both were delicious. They also served bread and butter, coffee, and dessert. 

One of the fun parts was the raffle drawing. You bought tickets and put them in the boxes of the prizes you were interested in winning, but it was hard to choose because they were all pretty awesome. I did not win anything which was a bummer when you would REALLY like what you put in for. The raffle drawing prizes:

I got to hang out with some wonderful friends and had so much fun talking about knitting, yarn and projects. Here are Julie, Me, and Isabelle:

The view from my table:

The fashion show was also really fun to watch and I really enjoyed seeing all the amazing projects. Cute Stacy modeling her vest:

The only thing I wish had been different was that I had to leave by 2 for school pickup. I don't know why I didn't plan for the lunch to go long, but I really didn't think it would go past 2 when arrival was at 10:30am. I had to leave before all of the prizes had been drawn and before they gave away the cool yarn centerpieces on the table. I also would have liked to socialized a little more afterwards and taken a couple more pictures. I guess next time I'll plan better!

Sunday, November 16, 2014

To Gift or Not

With all of the holidays fast approaching, I've read a lot about knitters gearing up to knit gifts. And a lot of knitters who are gearing up to not.

The Knitmore Girls are hosting a Grinch-along where they are encouraging knitters to just enjoy the holidays and knit without pressure. If you take a picture of your non-gift knitting fun and post it on their Ravelry group or Instagram, you could win a Grinchy knitting bag sewn by the Knitmore Girls. I will definitely be posting in this thread, because I have a couple of projects that are for personal fun and won't be given as gifts. And I want to win a Grinchy bag because they are so cute AND it will be from the Knitmore Girls.

Yarn Floozies has a really fun Knitting Time Calculator, that will help calculate the cost of a hand knit gift. This is more for people making requests and not really gifts, but I really liked the idea behind it. It might help to give me a reality check should I decide to knit an I Heart Noro blanket because it's obviously full of knitted love and everyone I love should have one.

If I were to decide that I want to plunge headfirst into some serious gift knitting for the challenge and adrenaline rush, Curious Handmade has a really nice free Holiday Gift Knitting Planner. I think this is a cool idea and I think the Yarn Harlot plans out her knitting time similarly on a spreadsheet.

I don't have any plans to bust out a bunch of hand knits for this holiday season, but I always say that. And then I get everything planned out for my family and decide that just maybe I could squeeze a gift or two in. This usually happens the beginning of December. We'll see if it happens this year.

I have been inspired by some of the Advent calendars and Holiday decoration knitting patterns I've seen on the Hot Right Now Ravelry list recently. One of my favorites is this Knitted Gingerbread House from Frankie's Knitted Stuff. I love her patterns and this house has a hinged roof so you can fill the inside with candy. The other pattern she has coming out is an Advent Garland with 24 different decorations on it. It starts December 1st and ends Christmas Eve. I love the idea of knitting one little ornament a day and having a cute handmade garland to hang up on Christmas. I might just have to do this one!

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Knit Surfers

I am having so much fun podcasting with my friend Nancy from Common Threads. We podcast about our local community, surfing, and knitting. I'm posting the shownotes on the Common Threads blog that is located here.

I just posted Episode 3 and it turned out great!

Here are the first 3 episodes:

Episode 1 - The Beginning
Episode 2 - New Encinitas
Episode 3 - The Cardiff Kook

I hope everyone enjoys it!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Day 6

This is 1 oz - I have 3 more ozs to spin and then plying. With 15 days left on the tour, if I spin .25 oz per day, I'll have the singles done in 12 days. Then I'll ply it the last 3 days of the tour.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tour de Fleece progress

Finished the Dreambird fiber on Tour de Fleece Day 3. Tomorrow I can start the RedFish Dyeworks 50% Silk and 50% Superfine Merino

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tour de Fleece 2013

Tour de Fleece started yesterday! My goal was to finish spinning the singles for my dreambird, which I did, but I was also able to ply about half! My goal for today is to finish plying the dreambird fiber.